Beef Osso Bucco
November 8, 2020 • 0 comments
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Servings: 4
- (1/2 lb (8oz)) Pancetta
- (2 1/2 - 3 lb) Osso Bucco
- (1 cup divided) Carrots (fine dice)
- (1 cup) Celery (fine dice)
- (1 medium) Onion (fine dice)
- (5-6 cloves) Garlic (chopped)
- (4 sprigs) Fresh Thyme
- (1 cup) Dry White Wine
- (4 cups) Beef or Chicken Stock
- (1/2 cup) Flour
- (to taste) Salt & Pepper
- (4 tbsp) Flat Leaf Parsley (chopped fine)
- (2 tblsp) Lemon Zest (grated)
- (4 cloves) Garlic (minced)
- (1 cup *optional) Parmesan Cheese (grated)
Preheat oven to 325
- Stir together the parsley, lemon zest and minced garlic and set aside.
Prepare Beef Shanks:
- Cook pancetta over medium heat in a dutch oven until crisp (about 5 minutes) remove to plate lined with paper towel to drain.
- Increase heat to med/high. Season shanks with salt & pepper & dust with all purpose flour. Add shanks to dutch oven and brown both sides (about 5 minutes each side). Remove to plate and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium and add onion, celery, and half of carrots (reserve 1/2 cup for garnish) to hot fat and cook until onions are translucent (about 5 minutes)
- Add garlic and thyme and cook just until fragrant.
- Deglaze pan with white wine then add stock and stir.
- Return shanks to pan. Crumble 1/2 pancetta over the shanks and bring to a simmer. Reserve remaining pancetta for plating.
- Cover pan and transfer to the oven to cook for approximately 2 hours or until meat is tender and separating from the center bone.
- Serve shanks over polenta or risotto and garnish with gremolata, reserved carrot, crumbled pancetta, and parmesan cheese.